Happy happy Monday friends! We had a jam packed weekend filled with holiday cheer and I can hardly believe it is already Monday- and only 12 days until Christmas. We had two holiday parties, a church Christmas program, a live nativity and The Sweets saw Santa yesterday. There were no tears for the first year. Such big boys!
Even with all of that holiday activity, this past weekend my parents had the Sweets over to spend the night on Saturday night so we had the house to ourselves. #cuetheconfetti Normally when this happens, the Big Sweet and I would just run out to a restaurant to grab dinner. But this time it occurred to me that it really is such a rare occasion to be able to host friends at home without the kids home so we decided to invite some friends over instead.
Now, you may be thinking, oh you must have cooked all day and stressed about cleaning and everything was perfect. But that is just not the case.
We ordered pizza.
The house was tidy, but that was from 15 minutes of a cleaning swoop after the kids were gone.
We didn’t have fancy wine.
No one had to stress about bringing anything.
And I think everyone appreciated being able to avoid the crazy restaurants this time of year and just connect with friends.
But I did do a few simple things that I will share today that will hopefully encourage you to open your doors this holiday season. And not stress about it!
- Yes, we ordered pizza. But we still used our Christmas plates my mother in law handed down to me a couple years ago. Everything feels more fancy with festive dishes so don’t wait for big fancy dinners to use them.
- We got our fireplace repaired last week and it was so fun to make a fire. Honestly, it has been running since we repaired it! But if you don’t have a fireplace, here is my tip on how to still get the look of one. I have literally had this channel on for a week straight.
- Christmas music is a MUST! There are so many ways to stream Christmas music these days so there really is no excuse! I’ve had fun finding new music this year so I will try to do a post on that too.
- For an appetizer, I made a really easy and festive cheese plate with all kinds of yummy Murray’s Cheeses I found at Kroger. The selection really is outstanding and you can’t go wrong with all of the options. Now listen, I am not all fancy and when it comes to cheese I am no expert. But that is kind of the beauty, I don’t think you can go wrong. It’s fun to explore and test things out. Here are a couple I used on mine:
Cheese Platter Ingredient Ideas
- Murray’s Stilton with Blueberries
- Murray’s Havarti with Dill
- Murray’s Truffle Tremor
- Murray’s Black River Blue Cheese
- Murray’s Brie
Then I add in other fun items like:
- Sliced Deli Pickles
- Deli Mustard
- Local Honey
- Local Jams and Jellies
- Hot Pepper Jelly
- Crackers & Fresh Breads
Today I want to encourage you to let go of the fears you may of hospitality and open your doors this holiday season. And to get the ball rolling, one lucky winner can win a $50 Kroger gift card to create your very own Murray’s Cheese Platter- just enter below!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kroger. The opinions and text are all mine.