Well, it’s the final stretch of the $100 Room Challenge and I am loving the way this little Lego Building Nook is coming together. Admittedly I think I am enjoying creating this LEGO Building Nook for the boys just as much as they enjoy building with their LEGO! It’s a win-win… and the best part is that we are gaining a completely new functional space in our home for around a hundred bucks. The full reveal is coming next week but today I am sharing a small DIY detail that I absolutely adore- this LEGO Minifigure Display Frame.
The more we have gotten into LEGO around here, the more I have to come to appreciate the darling little LEGO Minifigure characters. So I knew that our LEGO Building Nook just wouldn’t be complete without a fun way to display them. I wasn’t sure exactly how I was going to pull this together (especially on my small budget!) but when I came across this whiteboard for $5 at our thrift store – the vision came together! This display ended up costing us around $22 and it really is the perfect finishing touch in this room.
SUPPLIES NEEDED || DIY LEGO Minifigure Display
- 17 x 23 White Board – Similar to this one on Amazon
- 64 2×4 Black LEGO Bricks – We found our bricks at LEGOLAND Atlanta for around $17- but Amazon has them available HERE
- Gorilla Glue
- Your fave LEGO Minifigures!
HOW TO MAKE || LEGO Minifigure Display
- First you will want to measure your whiteboard to determine how many Minifigures you can fit on your display. We wanted to allow around two inches between each row and I just sketched out how I thought it would lay out best on a piece of scratch paper. Based on my measurements, we decided we would do 8 across and 8 down allowing us to display 64 characters. I got the boys involved with this part and they were excited to see it all come together.
- Once you have your general layout determined- get out the tape measure and ruler and it’s time to get to work! Because this is a white board, I used a dry erase marker to make my marks noting where the LEGO bricks would go. Then I was just able to erase the lines once everything was glued.
- To glue on the bricks, I used Gorilla Glue and a toothpick to spread it out evenly on the brick. To ensure that my bricks were straight, once I glued the bricks on I used the ruler to nudge them all while the glue was still wet to make a perfectly straight line on each row.
- Allow the bricks to fully set before placing your LEGO Minifigs on. This was the hardest part! 🙂
- Once the bricks are fully secured- it’s time to have some fun with your display!
The boys are currently playing with lots of our Minifigures so this doesn’t include our full collection – I didn’t want to interrupt their epic battle scenes. But I love that we have some room to grow with this and could always make another one if needed. I have a feeling that we may need one just to hold our Star Wars characters soon!
Now that we have an official LEGO Minifigure Display frame, I think we will really enjoy collecting these cute little characters. I just love the all of the details that goes into each Minifigure. LEGO really is such a cool hobby!
I can’t show these pictures and not mention those big yellow LEGO faces. Yep, those are a few more DIY No-Cost LEGO Head storage containers. I had the boys help pick out a few more faces and we made a couple more. I love them all- but I think the pirate face is the winner! You can see how we made these FOR FREE here.
Alright- one final week to pull this space all together… let’s take a look at how I am doing on my $100 Budget:
$50 Pair of File Cabinets
$6 Wood for Lego Workshop Table
$15 Gray Area Rug
$0 Pair of Chairs (These were in the dining room and looking for a new home)
$4 LEGO Minifigure Display Frame
$2 Small Black & Gold Table Lamp
$0 Ikea Bookshelf (pulled in from the playroom)
$0 Blue Desk Organizer
$0 No Cost LEGO Head Storage – See how I made this for free here
$17 64 Black LEGO bricks
Welp- I am up to $99 spent leaving me with $1 left to spend. Guess I need to call it a wrap and finish pulling this nook together. Be sure to check back next week for the full reveal- and check out all of the other $100 Room Challenge participants below!
CLICK BELOW FOR ALL THE LEGO BUILDING NOOK DETAILS!