I am back today with another update on the master closet makeover. Last week I shared the befores and the vision along with the closet as a blank slate. I have been a busy lady and I definitely know why this is a project I put off for so long. But I am plugging along and can’t wait to share the final reveal soon!
Everything is in progress so I am just popping in today with a some progress shots along with a budget update. Spoiler alert- I am still under budget! So, here is a breakdown of where we are on week 2:
- LIGHTING– my plan was to remove the existing “spaceship” light and replace it with the old chandelier from the kitchen. However, when I stumbled upon this super cool lantern style light fixture for $8.50 at the thrift store, I knew it would be so perfect. I’m thinking a fresh coat of aqua could be perfect…
I also had a pair of sconces I picked up awhile back and am SO happy to be able to use them in the closet! They are getting a coat of gold spray paint and I am using some lampshades from a pair of lamps I had to finish them off.
- PURGE. Be ruthless. Purge. And then purge some more. This one I can say I passed with flying colors. I have donated trunk loads! You can’t tell here, but this is a massive purge pile!
- PAINT the WALL. I am thrilled to report that the main beige wall is now replaced with a fresh coat of white paint and something super fun…. a leopard accent! I had this stencil on hand and I just love this fun touch. Here is a progress shot. (for a minute I was considering painting the trim gray, but went with white)
- PAINT/STYLE THE BUILT IN DESK– the built in desk has a fresh coat of navy blue paint and I added some marble contact paper to the top. The jury is still out on what I will end up doing with those hollow drawer spots but I have a few ideas I am stewing on.
- ORGANIZE. I have been busy organizing all of my jewelry and purses. I even went through 20 years of costume jewelry and purged and organized every single piece. I am telling you- NOTHING has been overlooked! I can’t wait top share some of the fun things I came up with, but here is a sneak peak of the necklace holder.
- STYLE. This by far has been the most enjoyable part! I have really enjoyed making this space feel like a “boutique”! I even found this old suit valet and transformed it into the perfect petite garment rack. And yes, it made a trip to Home Depot so I could get all of the parts! 🙂
- STAY UNDER $1oo- Spend less than $100…
If you recall, I gave myself a $100 budget to whip this closet into shape. So let’s see how much I have spent so far:
- Style = $38
- Frame for Audrey Hepburn print $7
- White Felt Hangers $20
- Marble Contact Paper $5
- Bulletin Board for DIY Necklace Holder $3
- Full length mirror $0 (Had from previous home, was in storage closet)
- Vanity chair-$3 using the one from guest room, but thrifted another one to replace that one for $3
- Paint = $0
- White wall- used leftover paint from dining room
- Gray paint for leopard spots- Repose Gray leftover from previous house
- Stencil- from previous project
- Blue paint for built in desk- freebie from Haven conf a few years ago
- Lighting = $22.50
- Sconces $0
- Lantern light fixture $8.50
- Turquoise spray paint for light fixture $4.00
- Ceiling medallion $10 (the previous light left a gaping hole when I removed so had to add this)
- Accessories and Organization- $27.80
- Necklace Holder- $2
- Misc. Acrylic Organization Items- $8
- Garment Rack $12- ($6 for thrifted suit valet and $6 for tubing, had Rose Gold spray paint on hand)
- Gold spray paint $4
- PVC Bracelet Holder – 1.80
So far I have spent $88.30 which means I have around $11.70 left. I do think most of my expenses are done and from here it is just a matter of putting the space together.
Next week I hope to share some of the ways I have organized my jewelry and accessories and then I will be back with the full reveal in two weeks. The space is definitely coming along and I can’t wait to tie up all of the loose ends and really start enjoying it!
It really is starting to look like my vision!