In a fit of rage and frustration, I took everything out of my closet last Friday.
EVERY. SINGLE. THING.
Half way through I couldn’t decide whether it was a smart or crazy move, but now I’m certain it was brilliant!
You see, last summer when we moved in to the new house I just dumped everything in on moving day and never took the time to go back and organize it. Sure, I have gotten rid of things and attempted to do some little organizing here and there. But over the past year it has become an overwhelming monster (picture Christmas wrapping paper shoved in the corner that had been sitting there since December) and it was time to take control!
In our previous home, my closet was a typical 50’s ranch closet. Not terrible but not large. So I found lots of ways to get creative. Things were in tubs, under beds, and even scattered in the boys closets. In this home, I am so super fortunate to not only have my very own closet, but one that is quite large. One that with a little organization can easily hold everything. I regret now that I didn’t start this project sooner so I could really start to enjoy this space sooner.
OK guys. Promise we will still be friends if I show you the befores? They are awful.
You’ve been warned.
I am having an anxiety attack just looking at these photos. Now can you see why I had to take such drastic measures and take everything out? I mean, really. I cannot even believe I let it get so bad.
Here is the blank slate!
Now let’s make a quick list of the major tasks I hope to tackle over the next four weeks:
- LIGHTING– currently, the lighting looks like a spaceship is landing. It was literally the first thing I wanted to take care of when we moved in. Yet, here we are. Spaceship.
- PURGE. Be ruthless. Purge. And then purge some more.
- PAINT the WALL. Change the wall color. I don’t love this beige color, particularly in a closet!
- PAINT/STYLE THE BUILT IN DESK- the existing built-in desk needs a fresh coat of paint as it is scuffed up pretty bad. It also doesn’t have drawers or baskets so I need to figure out a solution for that. I’m hoping to make it feel more like a closet “island” than a desk.
- ORGANIZE. This one is obvious, but I really want a place for everything and everything in it’s place. Organization for jewelry, purses and accessories. And of course, the clothes are getting a serious talking to!
- STYLE. Add some fun and feminine touches. Since I don’t get to decorate a girl’s bedroom, I love using opportunities to add some feminine touches when I can. This closet is definitely one of those excuses. I’m thinking some fun art and fabrics.
- And here is the big one…….
SPEND LESS THAN $100.
Yep. I have given myself $100 budget to whip this closet into shape. I intend to use what I already have, scour thrift stores for what I need and of course purchase a few new things along the way.
Because I love working from a mood board to get motivated and keep me on track, here is a vision of what I hope the space looks like:
I will be sharing updates over the next couple weeks with the reveal at the end of the month. After a hot summer of lazy days and little routine, this project is really giving me new life and already having a ripple effect on getting organized around here! It *might* even be getting me more in the mood for fall.
And pinky promise you are not judging me on those closet befores. We are in a safe zone here, right?!?! 🙂 But I am truly sorry if I gave you an anxiety attack as you were drinking your coffee. Alright, now let’s see what I can do over the next few weeks with some determination, my big girl organization panties and a hundred bucks!