It’s almost Memorial Day weekend, which always feels like the official kick off to summer for me. As we approach our first holiday weekend while navigating this new world of ours, I thought it would be fun and helpful to talk about fun ways to create a weekend staycation experience at home. I know, I know- we have all been staying in our homes for weeks-on-end now. Which is why I think the mentality of a “STAYCATION ” is more important than ever. I know so many people that have had to cancel or change their plans for this holiday weekend, along with so many summer plans up in the air- us included. But all is not lost and I firmly believe you can still create a memorable weekend in your own backyard.
Last year, we intentionally ended up staying in town for Memorial Day weekend as well as Fourth of July and it became a personal challenge for me to see how special we could still make it feel. Turns out, with a little effort and planning- we had a wonderful time! You can read my post from last summer on my tips for prepping for a staycation. Today I am sharing 10 finds for the ultimate staycation- with everything available on Amazon Prime to make it in time for the weekend!
10 AMAZON FINDS FOR THE ULTIMATE STAYCATION
- AMERICAN FLAG BUNTING || I know I am a house tweaker, but I really do think that by hanging a big ol’ flag on Memorial Day and Fourth of July is such an easy way to make your entry or porch ready for the holiday. We have a big bunting that I hang on our front porch for the holiday weekends and I just LOVE how it instantly makes it feel festive!
- OUTDOOR STRING LIGHTS || I’ve said it before and I am saying it again… if you have not yet strung some outdoor cafe lights on your porch- this would be the perfect time!
- CORNHOLE SET || Is your family competitive? Everyone loves cornhole and it is always a fun way to bring people together or get people outside.
- TAGALONG BIKE TRAILER || This bike trailer has been a lifesaver for pulling off longer family bike rides with our five year old. We rented one a few years back on a vacation and now we own one. Love taking family bike rides at different destinations around town.
- INFLATABLE POOL || Be right back, going to see if I can get a pool installed by the weekend!! Ha, wouldn’t that be nice? Since a real pool in our backyard is obviously not happening anytime soon, you still have to find a way to beat the heat! Edited to add*** I actually went on a mission over the weekend to find a pool and ended up with this one. I bought it online and was able to pick it up in store same day. We already used it on Sunday!
- BOCCE BALL SET || When we were first married and lived in Chapel Hill, Bocce was one of our favorite past times. We never took a road trip without it and it was our party trick. 🙂 We have recently been teaching the kids how to play and I am reminded how much fun it is.
- LIFESIZE JENGA || I have been threatening to buy one of these sets for years now! Our kids love to play the regular Jenga game and I know they would get such a kick out of a big backdoor set to play with!
- COOLER || Where are all my gear heads? You know who you are! This YETI cooler would be such a fun splurge and perfect for filling with your fave beverages for the weekend on the porch. Our friends have a big YETI they fill on Friday with drinks and ice and sit out by their pool and it legit keeps everything cold the entire weekend. People also swear by the less expensive RTIC brand. Also, we have the YETI Tumblers and while they are pricey- they really are AMAZING at keeping drinks cold. If you can’t go on that trip you had planned- maybe you can invest in some new gear instead!
- HAMMOCK || Picture yourself swaying and napping in a hammock at your favorite beach or resort. Not happening anytime soon? Now picture yourself in your own backyard instead! Hey- why not?!?
- A BEACH READ ||- I say bring me alllll the beach reads! While on vacation, I know I try to read. I just received my copy of the new 2020 Summer Release- Hello, Summer by Mary Kay Andrews and always love her light reads. If you have not yet read Where the Crawdads Sing – it was my top read of last summer. (Wow looks like the hardcover is only $10 on Amazon right now!) For more of my book reviews and posts- click here.