Something about turning 39 over the weekend confirmed it was time to put pen to paper and get my working “Carpe Diem” list down so I could start seeing my birthday bucket list ideas become a reality. These bucket list ideas have been in the making for several years, ever since Amanda over at Dixie Delights shared her 40×40 Adventure Bucket List. I have been adding to the notes in my phone as I think of things that I would like to accomplish over the coming years.
I truly believe that putting these out there will result in more accountability and action on my part. Acknowledging things that I want to do is the first step in executing. Now that I have shared them with you, I feel like it will motivate me even more to take action.
One common theme in my list below is that I see lots of desire to travel! However, with only 363 days until my 40th birthday, I don’t see how it would be possible to fit all of these trips in. Plus, since the boys are only 7 and 4 – many of these trips are ones I am looking forward to take when they are just a little older.
Because of this- I have given myself until 45 to get through this list! I’m sure this list will change a little over the years but I am excited about the adventures to come in the next 6 years! I am not crazy about the “bucket list” term so I have decided to call it my “Carpe Diem” list- to remind myself to seize each of the next 2,188 days to the fullest.
My 45 x 45 CARPE DIEM LIST (Birthday Bucket List Ideas)
- Learn to whistle loud with my fingers (You know the kind of whistle that can quiet a crowd? Pretty sure this should be a #boymom requirement)
- Travel to Europe with Hubby (I went for 3 weeks out of college with girlfriends to wander and explore. He has never been. We are due!)
- Teach myself to play “Take Five” on the piano (This was my Grandpa’s favorite song. I took lessons for years when I was little and my parents recently gave me the family piano. I can still play Fur Elise from my 4th grade recital but it has been a very long time since I’ve learned a new song!)
- COMPLETE – Summer 2018: Take Surf Lessons (My parents treated my sister and I to surf lessons and we had a blast. The instructor had me up on the first wave! )
- Read a minimum of 8 books a year- I have always loved to read, and now that the boys are a little older, I have been able to sneak more reading in! I hope to exceed this number.
- Reread Gone with the Wind- Read this in 2009, would like to read again.
- Go on a Missions Trip
- Serve at a Food Kitchen in Atlanta
- COMPLETE– Christmas 2019: Visit NYC with family (The boys are dying to see the Statue of Liberty and I am dying to take them!)
- Learn to Golf good enough to play a full round (When your husband is obsessed with golf and you have two boys and you are the missing ingredient to a perfect foursome!)
- Visit California (San Francisco, Pebble Beach, Wine Country)
- Make Annual Family Photo Album (This is something that truly gives me anxiety. All of our pictures are up in a “cloud”! I have not been consistent in putting these annual photo albums together.)
- Visit Cumberland Island (This is a small island off the coast of Georgia that you can only access by ferry. Wild horses- need I say more?)
- Take Boys Camping (in tents. and be happy about it)
- Visit USS Alabama Battleship in Mobile, AL (battleship my Grandfather served on in World War II)
- Do a National Parks Road Trip with family (Basically reenact the trip my parents took us on back in the day-but add a few new-to-me stops)
- Host a Dinner Party with 8 People (and actually prepare the food and use china)
- Perfect a single dish (Have a dish I am known for)
- Read the Bible cover to cover
- Plant a Garden (I have been threatening this for years, but since we travel so much in the summer it makes it hard!)
- COMPLETE- November 2020 Take the boys to Disney (I mean, the boys need to go at least once, right?)
- Take Boys Snorkeling (I grew up snorkeling and can’t wait to share this experience with the boys!)
- COMPLETE– September 2019: Drink the bottle of Don Perignon gifted to us for a special occasion (When we bought our home 2 years ago, our friend gave us a bottle of this champagne. We still haven’t popped the bubbly! What are we waiting for?!)
- COMPLETE– February 2019: Learn to Watercolor paint (I am so intrigued with watercolor paints, I just need to see for myself how it works! My friend and I took a Saturday morning workshop- loved it!)
- COMPLETE- August 2019: Shoot the Hooch with the boys (Rent rafts, float down the Chattahoochee River. Basically a rite of passage for anyone living in Atlanta)
- Celebrate 20 years of marriage (December 18, 2024!)
- Give 100% to supporting husbands business
- COMPLETE- Spring Break 2020 Family Ski Trip (Must get the boys on skis!)
- Host another Kentucky Derby Party and attend a horse race in Kentucky (I have my hat on stand-by!)
- Visit Blackberry Farms (This would make a perfect 40th birthday getaway weekend. #hinthint)
- Family trip to somewhere tropical
- Visit Chapel Hill (Lived here from 2004-2006 when hubby was in Grad School- also the first two years of our marriage. Holds such a special place in my heart!)
- Run the Peachtree Road Race 10k (run it again, haven’t ran it since before kids)
- COMPLETE– May 2019: Officially become members at our church
- See a Cirque de Soleil with the boys
- COMPLETE- June 2019: Visit the Imax Theater at Fernbank Museum (Atlanta Bucket List item)
- Have a girls weekend with my sister
- Own a piece of real art that makes my heart stop (Still waiting for the one, but I am pretty sure when I see it I will know)
- Learn Mom’s Carrot Cake Recipe (It’s truly the best thing you can eat)
- COMPLETE– Thanksgiving 2019: Make a full German meal once using my Grandparents Recipes (My Dad was born in Germany and my Grandparents owned a German restaurant and were amazing chefs. I have literally never tried any of their recipes.)
- Swim with Dolphins
- Have a 1980’s themed birthday party (yep, I was born in 80!)
- Watch a sea turtle mama lay her eggs (I have this thing with Sea Turtles)
- Visit Glacier National Park and Stay on a Dude Ranch
- COMPLETE– October 2018: Fly on Private Plane – Hey, you only live once, right?
So what do you think? What bucket list ideas are on your list?
Alright gotta run- I have a few things to take care of. 🙂