Back in the day when we were first married, Kraft used to mail a magazine with lots of super simple recipe ideas. I always scoured it looking for fun and easy meal ideas- and always seemed to find a few! There are still several that I make to this day! As I was thinking about this holiday weekend, I remembered that I used to make a festive no bake flag cake and decided to dust off the recipe and give it a go this year.
WAVE YOUR FLAG CAKE
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, divided
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 pkg. (3 oz. each) JELL-O Gelatin, any red flavor
- ice cubes
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 pkg. (12 oz.) prepared pound cake, cut into 10 slices (** I have used angel food cake as well)
- 1-1/3 cups blueberries, divided
- 1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
- Slice 1 cup strawberries; cut remaining strawberries in half.
- Add boiling water to gelatin mixes in large bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add enough ice to cold water to measure 2 cups. Add to gelatin; stir until ice is melted. Refrigerate 5 min. or until slightly thickened. Meanwhile, cover bottom of 13×9-inch dish with cake slices.
- Add sliced strawberries and 1 cup blueberries to thickened gelatin; stir gently. Spoon over cake. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- Spread COOL WHIP over dessert. Top with fruit to resemble the flag, using strawberries for the stripes and remaining blueberries for the stars.
**Note- sometimes I omit the blueberries from step 3 and only use them for my flag on top.
Oh yes, I have also made this delicious cake! Recipe from the Kraft Magazine. I still have some of those